In 1957 the Guido brothers, Joseph, Luigi, James and Pasquale opened Guido’s Finer Foods in the western suburbs of Chicago near Cumberland and Lawrence. The fine Italian market and full line grocery stores were such a big hit with the people of Chicago that seven more stores opened around the Berkeley and Addison suburbs over the next twenty years. One by one the brothers left Illinois to escape the cold winters, selling the stores.
James Guido, his wife Theresa and their twenty six year old son Joe Jr. came to Scottsdale, Arizona in 1983 and opened Guido’s of Chicago Meat & Deli located at 10893 N. Scottsdale Rd, Scottsdale, Arizona. Back then the deli was on the outskirts of Scottsdale. It occupied 1,400 square feet of commercial space in the Scottsdale Shea Center. Back in Chicago the grocery stores and deli had no seating area. James added seating and Theresa used many of her home recipes to the menu.
Today the deli is still in the same location and has grown to over 3,000 square feet. It seats 50 and is run by Joe and his wife Araceli. She has added her own touches to the menu by adding her special homemade tamales and Italian cookies. Joe’s mom Theresa contributed the cookie recipe and frequents the deli.